PROFESSOR'S WORLD PEACE ACADEMY INTERNATIONAL
SOUTH AFRICAN CHAPTER OF PWPA
WORLD UNIVER81TY FEDERATION
FIFTH PAN AFRICAN CONFERENCE
HEIA SAFARI RANCH
JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA
16 JANUARY 1999
THE JOHANNESBURG DECLARATION
1. Support the purposes, goals and aims of the WUF 2. Reaffirm that the responsibility of African education systems in
general and African Universities in particular should inculcate values and principles such as integrity, honesty, responsibility, respect for the rule of law, to help them function in a contemporary society.
3. Recognise the desirability of strong inter-university cooperation and complementarity that will facilitate exchange of courses, distance education, tele-courses, tele-seminars and so on.
4. Support the desirability of establishing in Africa regional university networks, taking advantage of Information technology and the World Wide Web to facilitate complementarity expressed in 3 above.
5. Recognize the social responsibility of African Universities to contribute to the goals of the African renaissance by improving education at all levels, with special emphasis on education in rural areas, for which IT is deemed essential.
6. Urge African Universities to contribute to design and implement national information strategies.
6. Decide to explore what should be done, to form a committee composed of Prof. CMB Lungu Noel Dossou-Yovo GP Pokhariyal The committee is charged with the task of preparing, in consultation with participants, a report to the WUF within three months.
7. Accept Prof. Ely Fall's offer to coordinate the development of a concrete proposal relating to the establishment of a network of West African Universities which will initially aim at the holding of a conference and related activities on an agreed theme supported by WUF
8. Take note of PWPA Zambia's offer to host the 6th Pan African PWPA Conference in about three years time. The participants also note that PWPA Zimbabwe has also offered to host a conference at the Victoria Falls.
Adopted by all participants this 16 day of January 1999